Your Dog Has Eaten a Toxic Substance
Is it Safe to Induce Vomiting?
Guest Writer: Rachelle Wilber
Dogs are curious and will eat almost anything, and something seemingly harmless, such as a small piece of wrapped chocolate, could potentially be deadly to your dog. If you suspect your dog has eaten a poison, it is a good idea to call poison control and your vet for instructions to see if it is safe to induce vomiting.
Keeping Your Dog Safe
In many cases, it is not safe to induce vomiting. If you do not know what poison your dog has ingested, do not try to make him vomit. The poison control staff might instruct you to wash out your dog’s mouth with warm water if he swallowed an acidic poison such as battery acid. Remove the poison from your immediate surroundings and observe your dog for vital signs. If he stops breathing, perform CPR.
Calling Pet Poison Control and the Vet
The first step to caring for your dog after he eats poison is to call the Pet Poison Control Hotline (888-426-4435). Their personnel can tell you if it is safe to induce vomiting. Professionals, like those at Seattle Emergency Veterinary Hospital, know that some poisons can cause more damage if they go back through the digestive tract. Do not give your dog any remedies, because a chemical reaction could occur between the poison and the remedy. Your vet may ask you to bring the dog in for gastric lavage.
ASPCA Poison Control Hotline, toll-free 888-426-4435
Taking Your Dog to the Vet
Vets offer emergency care 24/7 for these situations, and they will want to know what poison your dog has ingested. Treatment depends on the poison. The vet may pump your dog’s stomach and observe for signs of tremors, dropping blood pressure or nerve damage, and your dog may need to stay in the vet hospital for a few days.
Removing Poisons from Your Home
Even if you have removed the obvious toxins such as antifreeze and rat poison from your home, be aware of other surprising products that are poisonous to dogs. Aside from knowing just a small amount of chocolate could poison your dog, gum and candies containing certain artificial sweeteners can also be toxic to your pet as well. Ask your vet for a list of ingredients that are poisonous to your pet.
Keeping your dog safe from poisons requires constant vigilance. From keeping your purse and the candy bowl out of your dog’s reach to securing chemicals in a locked cabinet, you will need to be on your toes. Understanding what is poisonous to dogs and taking immediate action by calling your vet can help to keep your family pet safe.
“Is it Safe to Induce Vomiting After Your Dog Eats Poison?”
Guest Writer Bio: Rachelle Wilber is a freelance writer living in the San Diego, California area. She graduated from San Diego State University with her Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism and Media Studies. Rachelle tries to find an interest in all topics and themes, which prompts her writing. When she isn’t on her porch writing in the sun, you can find her shopping, at the beach, or at the gym. Follow Rachelle on Twitter and Facebook
Other Articles by Rachelle Wilber:
- Teaching Your Dog Who is Alpha, Obedience Training
- 5 Important Items Dog Owners Always Forget About
- Famous American Pet Toy Inventions Through History
- Infected Dog Bite: How to Properly Care for a Festering Wound
MY QUESTION FOR YOU TODAY:
Have you been in a situation where your dog has ingested poison?
** Leave your comment below. **
(It’s just sexy!)
As always, thank you for taking the time to visit my blog!
Disclosure: Animal Bliss is a Tether Tug affiliate and will earn a (very small, teeny tiny) commission from purchases made through links on this website.
(Coffee money – thank you!)
PLEASE SHARE – Thank you!
Please read my Submission Guidelines page before sending content for review.
Latest posts by Guest Blogger for Animal Bliss (see all)
- How to Check Your Dog for Ticks and Other Illnesses - May 22, 2017
- Healthy Goldfish in 7 Simple Steps : Fish-Keeping 101 - May 18, 2017
- Houtong Cat Village in Taiwan- Paradise for Cat Lovers - May 11, 2017