Coconut Oil for Dogs
Coconut oil has grown in popularity as a healthy and natural trend among human beings, but it has also evolved into a highly sought-after supplement for their beloved four-legged companions as well. Once thought of as a being a fad, coconut oil for dogs has proven to be highly beneficial for our canine friends.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I could receive a small (teeny tiny) commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click on a link and make a purchase. Thank you! 🙂
Coconut oil can help dogs with various issues, ranging from digestion problems to bumpy, itchy skin. This oil is an essential component of a dog’s diet that is worth considering with numerous benefits that owners should be aware of.
Mature coconuts are the source of coconut oil. It is extracted and forms edible oil for producing beauty and food products. Coconut oil contains a high amount of saturated fat and the health benefits that both dogs and human enjoy are derived from medium chain triglycerides.
Coconut Oil Benefits for Dogs
- Coconut oil can improve a dog’s coat and skin, increase energy levels significantly, reduce allergic reactions, and improve digestion.
- Fatty acids have medically been proven to assist with cognitive function.
- Since coconut oil is directly absorbed in the digestive tract and goes to the liver where it metabolizes into energy, it helps with gastrointestinal and physical ailments.
- In addition to general health benefits, the coconut oil can be used efficiently to coat pills and makes it easier for dogs to swallow them.
- It can be topically applied to freshen up the dog’s coat and keep it smooth.
Giving Dogs Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is usually given to dogs once or twice a day with their meals. The ideal amount that you should give a dog will be based on size. Experts recommend a slow start with a daily dose of a quarter teaspoon for small dogs and one tablespoon for big dogs. Click here to read much more about coconut oil for dogs.
If your dog is overweight or obese, consider restricting the frequency of coconut oil to once a day. For dogs that have a history of pancreatitis, tend to gain weight rapidly or do not metabolize fat efficiently, use coconut oil in small doses or topically.
Optimal Dog Treats
Coconut oil is an excellent base for optimal treats by mixing it with vitamin D and turmeric. Turmeric is valued for its anti-inflammatory properties, and vitamin D is fat-soluble. However, all supplements should be given in moderation to prevent any health issues that may be caused by over-supplementation.
RELATED: Muscle Testing for You and Your Pets
Moisturizing Dog’s Skin
- Use coconut oil can to add moisture to a dog’s skin to prevent dryness and flaking. A light application helps to keep the coat fresh.
- To use coconut oil topically, place a small amount on your hands, rub it and gently pat it on the dog’s coat while spreading it through the fur with your fingers.
- Gently massage some of the oil onto the skin and do not worry about the dog licking it off the coat because it is safe to ingest orally.
Choosing Coconut Oil
During your search for the most suitable coconut oil, it is essential to read the labels. Highly recommended oil is organic, cold-pressed, virgin or unrefined coconut oil. If you want to feed coconut oil to your dog, note that different products vary in taste and smell. You may need to experiment with a few options to determine the one your dog prefers.
“Coconut Oil for Dogs- Providing a Natural Healthy Alternative“
Author Bio: Charlie BrownCoconut Oil for Dogs- Providing a Natural Healthy Alternative, #petHealth Click To Tweet
MY QUESTION FOR YOU:
Do you use Coconut Oil? If so, how do you use it with your dog?
*** Leave your comment below. ***
(It’s just sexy!)
Thank you for visiting my blog today!
DISCLOSURE: Animal Bliss is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
(In other words, we’ll get a very small (teeny tiny) commission from purchases made through links on this website.)
So, go on … Don’t be shy!
Buy something BIG! and expensive!
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $17.97Was: $29.97
- Price: $22.38Was: $25.12
- Price: $16.99
Latest posts by Guest Blogger for Animal Bliss (see all)
- 4 Tips For Safely Swimming With Your Dog - February 21, 2019
- Giving Your Cat Medication: Everything You Need to Know - February 20, 2019
- 4 Reasons to Never Wash Your Dog in the Bathroom - February 19, 2019