Why Does My Dog Eat Poop?
Does your dog have an unusual appetite for stool? I had a reader ask me, “Why does my dog eat poop?” It’s not a pleasant thought. The habit of dogs eating poop is known as coprophagy (derived from the Greek κόπρος copros, “feces” and φαγεῖν phagein, “to eat”.
If you’ve been around puppies at all, you probably noticed the mother dog eating her pups’ stools. This is not done for pleasure, but rather to keep the puppies and the environment clean, a primal reaction to keep predators away that might drawn by the scent. The mom will do this until the puppies are weaned and eating solid food.
The thing is, the little ones learn by her actions, and may eat their poop too, thinking that’s what they’re supposed to do. This may develop into a habit right into maturity. Once the puppy is getting a well-balanced and nutrient-rich diet, it should stop this poop-eating behavior. If it has not, there may be some issues involved.
Why Does My Dog Eat Poop?
There are several of the reasons that are typically associated with coprophagy.
- Poor Digestion – Visit your vet to find out if there are underlying problems, and what you can do to help make it better.
- Low Quality Food – Some low quality pet foods do not have good digestible nutrients for your dog to digest. If this is the case, then the food coming out pretty much tastes like the food that went in. It makes no different to your dog. Switch to a higher quality food.
- Stress – Sometimes stress causes dogs (and humans too) to do strange things. If your dog is eating poop because it is stressed, don’t make matters worse by going bonkers when you see him eating stool. Talk to your vet or a dog trainer for ideas on how to un-train your dog from doing this.
- Parasites and Worms – These nasty things can leach nutrients from your dog, causing him to be hungrier than normal. See your vet.
I hope you have enjoyed, “Why Does My Dog Eat Poop? Is that Normal?“
You might also like: Best Funny Dogs Compilation of 2013 – 2014
MY QUESTION FOR YOU TODAY: Are there any animals you know of that you would like to see featured here on my blog? Is there any creature that you would like to learn more about? Or, do you have a story you would like to submit about a pet you have? I would love to hear from you in the comment section below, or please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
*** Please leave a comment below and remember to share. ***
It’s just sexy!
As always, thank you for taking the time to visit my blog!
♥ PEACE ♥
Latest posts by Jeanne Melanson (see all)
- Common Pet Diseases – How to Prevent Them (Infographic) - June 17, 2018
- Ultimate Dog Grooming Guide Infographic - June 16, 2018
- Why Your Next Pet Should Be a Guinea Pig - June 11, 2018